With the proliferation of the internet, people can almost do anything online. Nowadays citizens book flights, buy groceries, get a prognosis from doctors online and learn new things through an electric screen. The 21st century’s technology has completely chachangedw the human experience in our world. This, however, brings new challenges to our current education institutions – schools and universities
Many students, and some of the teaching faculty, are in line with the introduction of so-called online courses. Their reasoning being tele-education saves the time of both the teacher and the student. Instead of spending time getting properly dressed or commuting, they would rather just get their upper body attired and begin their learning/teaching session on the go. To them, education has been narrowed down to “acquisition of knowledge” only.
A crucial part of real-life education is being entirely ignored distance learning is to be implemented throughout the physical world, which is socialization. Pupils not only learn to read, write or do arithmetic at school. Education in reality takes place in a social context, where children learn how to make friends with peers and build a relationship with their teachers. What’s more, they learn how to teamwork, leadership, and discipline, all of which are important skills that will help kids grow into functional adults.
Another counterargument against distance learning is the availability of technology. In China, the internet penetration rate, according to a recent report, lies somewhere between 60%-80% percent. This leaves at least 20% of the total population without internet access. It means millions of China’s teenagers will be unable to get educated should the nation decide that all teaching be done through online classes. A huge waste of human potential.
To sum up, although distance learning is an efficient way spread knowledge and skills, governments and education institutions should continue offering in-person classes to ensure the full development of individual students.